CalMatters is looking for a motivated student or early-career photojournalist with a unique eye and strong storytelling skills who wants to shoot photos for CalMatters. You’ll cover photography assignments, share editing responsibilities, receive regular reviews from photo editors, and collaborate with reporters and editors across the newsroom.
This is a great opportunity for photojournalists interested in political journalism and statewide issues such as California health, education, environment, and housing. A mission can take you from the State Capitol, to a drought-stricken farm, or to a political protest. The position will require regular travel for assignments. Preference will be given to applicants based in the Sacramento area and Southern California.
- Take on photo assignments covering statewide issues, including portraits, press conferences, demonstrations, and environmental scenes
- Contribute and grow our photo archive
- Present and produce one or two visual stories during the internship
- Learn more about the photo editing and image research process
Useful to have
- Previous internship or student journalism experience
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Photo Mechanic or other photo editing software
- Knowledge of Premiere and/or Illustrator
- Videography and video editing skills
How to register
This position pays $20 per hour.
We are a growing and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model of sustainable, smart, non-profit journalism. We are committed to reflecting the population of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you are interested, please send a resume, cover letter outlining how this internship matches your interests and experience, and links to your portfolio or published examples of your work.
If you have any problems with this form or prefer to apply by email, write to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.